Sunday, September 28, 2008

Will I ever measure up???


I had lunch this week with a couple of friends. One friend was talking about a guy he knows whose dad was a college basketball coach. The son played for his dad in college. Dad pushed him pretty hard. It got to a point where the son went to talk to his dad and said he was thinking about quitting. Coach (Dad) said, "If you quit the team, you quit our family." As the son was pondering that one, his mom called, saying, "What are you doing to your dad?" My friend said the son recently confided to my friend that during those dark days he actually contemplated suicide...What would it be like to think you never measured up? And more than that, never measured up to the person that mattered most, had the greatest influence in your life? As I thought about that story, I thought about my son. I push him pretty hard at times. And just last week, he said, "Do you know what it feels like to always feel like it's never good enough?" Ouch! I don't want my son to feel that from me...And if he feels that way because of what I say or don't say, do or don't do, what I don't affirm in him, how I get down on him, what image of God will he grow up with? What picture of God will he leave our home with? Is God never satisfied...always disappointed? Will I ever measure up? Or, could it be that God is my biggest fan? My best cheerleader? Cheering me on? And if he is, what would it be like for me to show that to my son?

No comments: